This is the audio from the September 27, 2020 sermon, “A Living FAITH”, shared by Tom Lemler at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Text: James 2:14-26, Matthew 25:34-40
When it comes to faith, there are only two real options: Faith In Action or Faith Inaction. A living faith requires that we do something with it. Today’s message will consider how to grow a faith that is alive and well.
A living faith grows when you have a living:
- Matthew 7:24 — We build our faith on a solid foundation when we both hear and put into practice the Word of God. Knowing God’s Word is great, but it is in the doing of His Word that our faith has a foundation that can be built upon. Our foundation is not of stone or sand, but it is the living Son of God, Jesus Christ.
- Philippians 2:5 — When we built a living faith on the foundation of Jesus, we must take on the very attitude of Christ. Having an active and living faith will only come about when we humble ourselves and are willing to serve for the good of others.
- 1 John 3:17 — Having a living faith will require that we have a living and active inclusion of anyone that God calls to Himself — which is everyone! The activity of our faith can have no exclusions of people when we have the ability and resources to help. Not only is the living inclusion applied to those our living faith would serve, it is an inclusion that doesn’t leave anyone out when it comes to the responsibility of serving.
- 2 Corinthians 9:10 — Having an active and living faith requires that we have a living trust in the living God. Putting our faith into action will often test our trust as we begin to question if we have enough of whatever is needed. Our trust must rise about our ability, bank account, and other resources and rely solely on the One who provides seed to the sower.
- Psalm 121:1-2 — Growing a living faith that is actively serving others should cause you to look to God as the source of the help which is needed. You have a living help because it comes from a living God. The help you give others becomes a “cup of cold water” that blesses both you and the recipient when given in the name of Jesus.
So, what do you have and what are you doing with it? What will your living FAITH do today?