The year 2017 is underway and today is page 2 of this year’s edition of my page-and-photo-a-day adventure. Susan did not feel well over the weekend, so after working Saturday and Sunday, I worked from home this morning so Susan could get some extra rest. With the school still on Christmas break I didn’t need to go in and clean this morning, so I settled right in to my Monday morning prayer guide writing routine. As I spent time with God in prayer, settling on a specific topic seemed elusive for quite some time. I had a couple ideas cross my mind, but upon checking I found that I had covered those with prayer guides recently. As I continued to pray and work on coming up with a topic, I eventually settled on the subject of being steadfast, or having steadfast qualities about us. God wants to grow within us a steadfast spirit that is not tossed about by every wind of doctrine and belief that comes along. Often the best thing we can do is to stubbornly hold onto the truth that God has revealed in His Word, regardless of all of the attempts of the enemy to deceive us.
Once Susan got up she was feeling better than she had been so by early afternoon we headed out to lunch and to pick up some groceries. While the forecast had called for rain, by late afternoon it was still dry so we headed out for a family walk at Potato Creek. While the walk and fresh air does each of us good, there were plenty of opportunities to photograph the surrounding beauty as well. With a gray and overcast day, I shot many of the photos I took today in black and white. Today’s photo was a capture across the lake of a reflective tree line silhouetted against the wet ice-covered surface of the lake. We had just returned to the truck after a 4+ mile walk and it began to rain. Once home, I fried up some bacon cheeseburgers for supper and then sat down to write today’s page.
As I reflect on the day, here are some thoughts and/or lessons that stand out:
- Family is a beautiful thing when we learn to care for one another according to each person’s needs.
- I am thankful for the beautiful family that God has blessed me with.
- The joy that Susan brings to life makes the flexibility needed to care for her worth whatever it takes.
- Praying can be hard. Listening to God can be harder, but it makes the praying easier.
- Some things are my problems to handle with God’s help, others are not.
- Living with a steadfast pursuit of God brings with it a peace that surpasses all understanding.
- Beauty can be found in many places and settings if we are willing to take the time and make the effort to look for it.
- Remembering the lessons from today is easier than remembering the lessons from last week . . . unless I’ve written down last week’s lessons to look back on. 🙂