The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 1 Samuel. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Here Comes A King:
A Study of the Book of 1 Samuel
Lesson 29 (Missing A Few Things)
1 Samuel 26:1-25
- What does Saul do when word comes to him of David’s location? Where does Saul and his chosen men camp? How does this location compare to where David is supposed to be?
- What does David do when he sees that Saul is on the move again? What does he find out? When the reports come back, where does David go? What does he take notice of?
- David asks for a volunteer from two of his men — where does he want someone to go with him to? What does Abishai want to do? What is David’s response? What do they do instead? Why didn’t anyone wake up?
- When he is a safe distance away from Saul and his army, who does David call out to? What message does David deliver? What is David’s proof that Saul’s guard did not do its job?
- Who calls out to David? What is David’s response? How does Saul respond to David’s words? Under what terms do David and Saul part ways at this time?
- How often do you return to something that hasn’t worked out the way you want? Do you tend to follow directions even if initially it doesn’t look like it will get you what you want?
- Do you tend to take things at face value or are you more likely to investigate? How hard is it for you to head in a direction that doesn’t appear to make sense or be safe? What does it take for you to do that?
- If you were asked to accompany someone into a dangerous situation would you do it? How hard is it to remain consistent in doing the right thing — particularly in regards to people who aren’t doing right and there wrong may be directed at you?
- When people are against you, are there good ways that you can get their attention? When things, or people, seem to be against you do you often consider God could be behind it? Could He? Why or why not?
- How hard is it to admit your actions have not been appropriate? Is it harder to admit or to change bad actions?
Next week: 1 Samuel 27:1-12
Hiding In Plain Sight