The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 1 Samuel. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Here Comes A King:
A Study of the Book of 1 Samuel
Lesson 28 (A Fool’s Very Temporary Reprieve)
1 Samuel 25:1-44
- What significant event takes place as chapter 25 opens? How does Israel react? Where does David go? Who else is there? What do we know about them?
- For what purpose does David send men to see Nabal? How do they greet him? What information do they give? What are they actually saying? What is Nabal’s response? How does David react to the news of Nabal’s response?
- Who does one of Nabal’s servants go to with news of Nabal’s response to David’s men? What does the servant say about David and his men? What does he say about Nabal?
- What does Abigail set out to do? What is her plan? Who doesn’t know? What happens when she meets David? Who does she blame for David’s anger? What is David’s response to her words and actions?
- What was Nabal doing when Abigail arrived home? When did she tell him what she had done? What happened? How did David respond? What happened to Abigail?
- What things in a person’s life would cause an entire nation to mourn his death? How can you life in such a way as to have people truly mourn their loss at your passing?
- How would you ask someone for help? How can you talk well of your actions without bragging or being arrogant? How well do you listen to what people are actually saying? How do you react when someone responds to your requests in a way that seems very inappropriate?
- Who would you go to if you know of a situation where one person has unjustly treated someone else? How can you accurately identify if there is a right and wrong in a situation?
- How difficult is it to take blame for something someone else did that you would have done differently had you known? How readily do you accept a genuine apology?
- How hard is it for you to let God handle punishment, justice, and reward?
Next week: 1 Samuel 26:1-25
Missing A Few Things