The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 1 Samuel. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Here Comes A King:
A Study of the Book of 1 Samuel
Lesson 33 (Share and Share Alike)
1 Samuel 30:1-31
- Where do David and his men go? What is this place to them? What has happened while they were gone? What “good news” detail is given?
- What is the initial response of David and his men? What do the men want to do? How does David deal with his great distress? Who does David go to? For what purpose?
- What answer does David get from the priest? What happens at the Besor Ravine? Who is found in a field by David and his men? Why was he there? What does he agree to do? What condition does he set for doing this?
- What are the Amalekites doing when David and his men catch up with them? What does David do? How much of what was taken is recovered? What else is taken?
- What do some of the men want to do when David and the men who fought the Amalekites with him rejoin the rest of the group? How are these men described? What is David’s response to them? What reasoning does he give? What else did he do with some of the plunder that was taken from the Amalekites?
- How do you feel when you’ve been away and finally return home? Do you ever worry that what you leave won’t be there when you return? Do you tend to notice, or look for, the “silver-linings in the clouds”?
- How would you feel if your family and possessions were taken from you? Have you ever been blamed or held responsible for someone else’s loss when you weren’t the one who took their possession? Who do you go to when you are distressed and need answers?
- Have you ever had to drop out of a task you began because you physically couldn’t continue? Have you ever continued with a task when others with you had to drop out? How does either of those situations make you feel?
- Are you a “finisher”? Do you stay at something until it is done or do you quit when you have what you want out of it?
- What things keep us from being willing to share? What role does pride have? How is our giving a reflection of our heart?
Next week: 1 Samuel 31:1-13; 2 Samuel 1:1-15
The Mighty Have Fallen