This is the audio from the February 12, 2023 sermon, “A New SELF!”, shared by Tom Lemler at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Text: Colossians 3:1-17
“Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.”
Colossians 3:9-10 (NIV)
Today continued a sermon series with a focus on being Made New In Christ. Being made new in Christ will change who we are because it involves dying to self and living for Christ. While there is so much that God wants to clothe us with, for that to change us, we must put off the old self before we put on the new . . .
- Seriousness. Colossians 3:1-4
- When we put on a new seriousness, it’s all about changing the things we are serious about. We must put off the serious pursuit of self and the things of this world in order to put on a seriousness about the things of God.
- Example. Colossians 3:5-11
- When we put on a new example, it’s all about changing what people see in us. It’s not so much that the things of this world bother us when they’re done by the people of this world, but rather they appall us when they are done by us. We must put off the deeds of the flesh in order to put on the example of Christ for others to see.
- Love. Colossians 3:12-14
- When we put on a new love, it’s all about changing who we value most. We must put off the worldly love that is really all about self so that we can put on the godly love that pursues God above all else and considers others better than ourselves.
- Focus. Colossians 3:15-17
- When we put on a new focus, it’s all about changing the direction of our gaze. We must put off the old focus that kept us looking at our self and the things we desire so that we can put on a new focus to see Christ as the purpose in all we do.
Today, how will you put off the old self in order to put on a new SELF?