This is the audio from the January 22, 2023 sermon, “A New LIFE!”, shared by Tom Lemler at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Text: Romans 5:20 – 6:7
“But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. ‘Go, stand in the temple courts,’ he said, ‘and tell the people the full message of this new life.'”
Today continued a sermon series with a focus on being Made New In Christ. Being made new in Christ will not only give us new life, but it wall also call us to tell others the full message of that new life. To do that well, it is important to realize the in Christ we have been given a new . . .
- Likeness. Romans 5:20 – 6:7
- While mankind began by being created in the image of God, the entrance of sin into the world has stamped our flesh with a different image — the image of sin. When we are made new in Christ, we die to sin and are made new in the likeness of Jesus.
- Individual. Romans 6:8-14
- In the ways of the world, our individuality is primarily all about us — we become ruler of our own domain. When we are made new in Christ, our individuality is all about becoming one with Christ and with one another as the body of Christ.
- Freedom. Romans 6:15-18
- Most people long for freedom and believe that true freedom means they can do whatever they want. When we are made new in Christ, we find a freedom from the bondage of sin as we are set free to live in obedience to righteousness.
- Example. Romans 6:19-23
- Many times our society will set people up as heroes and examples based on criteria that is very short-lived and even more short-sighted. When we are made new in Christ, we find a “great cloud of witnesses” that teach us how to be examples of faith even as we become part of that great cloud for others.
Today, how will you live a new LIFE?