This is the audio from the Good Friday, April 2, 2021 sermon, “A TIME to Remember”, shared by Tom Lemler at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Text: Matthew 27:32-50
Good Friday is a time to remember the great price which Jesus paid to cover the penalty of sin we each owe. As we look at the events of the crucifixion, I find four things which I believe are important for us to remember.
The message of the cross has a:
- Truth to remember. Matthew 27:37
- The guy who asked Jesus the question, “What is truth”, is responsible for posting the great truth of the cross — “This is Jesus, King of the Jews.” The message of the cross proclaims the truth of Jesus as King — not necessarily the king we want, but the King we need.
- Invitation to remember. Mark 15:29-30
- Never forget the invitation offered to Jesus by nearly everyone witnessing the crucifixion — “Save yourself.” It was the same invitation offered by Satan as Jesus was tempted following His forty days in the wilderness. Jesus chose to stay on the cross and turn down the invitation of the world.
- Motive to remember. Luke 23:42-43
- As Jesus taught those who followed Him, He made it clear that the “Son of man came to seek and to save that which was lost.” His interaction with the criminal beside Him who asked to be remembered gives us a clear view into the motives which held Him in place.
- Exclamation to remember. John 19:30
- After suffering the horrendous experience of the crucifixion and taking on the weight of sin from all mankind, Jesus exclaims, “It is finished!” The message of the cross calls us to remember the completed work of God in redeeming us from our slavery to sin.