The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 2 Kings. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
The Unraveling of a Nation
A Study of the Book of 2 Kings
Lesson 20 (A Wasted Opportunity!)
2 Kings 20
May 21, 2014
- What happened to Hezekiah in “those days”? What message did God send to him? How did Hezekiah respond?
- As Isaiah is leaving Hezekiah’s presence, what does God tell him to do? What message does God give? What does Hezekiah ask for? What is given?
- Who came to see Hezekiah when they heard of his illness? How did Hezekiah receive them? What did Hezekiah show them?
- What did Isaiah ask Hezekiah? How did Hezekiah respond? What does Isaiah say will happen?
- What did Hezekiah think of the word of the Lord spoken to him by Isaiah? Why? Who succeeded Hezekiah as king? As you look at the beginning of chapter 21, how did his son live? When was he born?
- How long do you think you will live? What would it take to “put your house in order”? How would you respond if God somehow delivered a message that you were about to die?
- Have you ever been given a second chance? Why do we tend to believe bad news but want proof about good news? Do you take full advantage of second chances you are given? Why/why not?
- Do you ever find yourself “showing off” for the benefit of others? Why do people like others to know what they have? Who do people often credit for their possessions?
- Who would the people around you say you try to please most? Is there anything wrong with telling and showing people all that you possess? What is there about seeing something that makes people want to have it?
- How willing are you to accept current peace at the cost of future turmoil? Are you more concerned about your life or for those who come after you? Would you want extra time if you knew that it would result in eventual disaster?