The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 1 Kings. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Starting Strong Isn’t The Same As Finishing Strong
A Study of the Book of 1 Kings
Lesson 19 (Feeling Alone)
1 Kings 19
November 6, 2013
- What news does Ahab bring back to Jezebel? How does Jezebel respond? Who does she tell? What does Elijah think of her response? What does he do?
- What does Elijah do in Beersheba? Where does he go from there? When he reaches his destination, what does he tell God?
- Who wakes Elijah up? What instruction does he give Elijah? What does Elijah do? Who returns to Elijah? Why? What is the message given to Elijah? How long does he travel? Where does he go?
- What question does God have for Elijah? What is Elijah’s response? What does God tell Elijah to do? What events take place that the Lord was not in? When did Elijah recognize God’s presence? What does Elijah tell God is the reason for him being where he is?
- Where does God tell Elijah to go? What is he supposed to do when he gets there? What will Hazael, Jehu, and Elisha do? How many people does God say have not worshipped Baal? What did Elijah do when he met Elisha? How did Elisha respond? How committed was Elisha to following Elijah?
- When you don’t like something that happens, who are you most likely to tell? Why? Do you tend to respond with rash statements when you are upset or do you like to think things through? How easily do you become afraid of people? Where do you usually land on the “fight or flight” spectrum?
- Where do you go when you’re afraid? How often does fear drive you to isolate yourself as much as possible? How honest are you with God when fear dominates your life?
- What things strengthen you when you are mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually worn out? What might that say about what you ought to be doing for others?
- How would you explain your current situation to God if He were to ask you, “What are you doing here?” Do you believe God’s desire is to reveal Himself to you? Does where we expect to find God help or hinder our recognizing His presence?
- Do you ever feel alone in your walk with God? Are there people around you that God may have put there to let you know you are not alone? Who has God put in your life for you to learn from? Who has He put in your life to learn from you?
Next Week: If At First You Don’t Succeed . . .
1 Kings 20