The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 1 Kings. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Starting Strong Isn’t The Same As Finishing Strong
A Study of the Book of 1 Kings
Lesson 16 (From Bad to Worse)
1 Kings 16
October 16, 2013
- Who sent Jehu to speak to Baasha? What had God done for Baasha? What had Baasha done in return? What were the consequences? Why should have this sounded familiar to Baasha?
- Who succeeded Baasha as king of Israel? How long did that last? How did his reign end? What did Zimri do with the entire family of Baasha? Why?
- How long was Zimri’s reign as king over Israel? What turned the Israelites against him? How did his reign end? What was the real reason?
- What dilemma did Israel have after Zimri’s death? How was it resolved? Where did Omri reign as king? How did Omri’s life compare to the kings before him? How did God feel about it?
- Who succeeded Omri as king of Israel? How did he view the sins of Jeraboam? Who did he marry? What did this marriage bring into Israel? How did God feel about the actions of Ahab?
- Who has God sent to speak to you? Do you listen? What has God done for you? Do your actions reflect or reject that? When do you like the principle of reaping what you sow? When don’t you?
- What things make it difficult to break patterns of bad behavior? How do you feel about God using wicked people to fulfill His word?
- How many right deeds does it take to outweigh bad ones? Why is that mindset so dangerous? Who is responsible for the way you live?
- How do groups that you are involved with typically make decisions? Are some ways better than others? If left alone, do things typically improve? What should this tell us about the effort we put into our walk with God?
- Are there things that God calls sin that you feel are no big deal? How do you know? What is the purpose of God’s law if none of us can live up to it? What things do you allow others to lead you into worshipping? How does God feel when there are things other than Him that we worship? What will you do about it?
Next Week: A God That Cares
1 Kings 17