The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 2 Samuel. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
A Man After God’s Own Heart:
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
A Study of the Book of 2 Samuel
Lesson 11 (Out Of Order)
2 Samuel 11
November 14, 2012
- What was the usual custom of nations in the spring of the year? What does David do?
- What does David do on an evening he can’t sleep? What does he notice? What does he have done? What information does he find out? What does he do about that information? What happens?
- What message does Bathsheba send to David? Who does David send for? What instructions was he given? What did he do? What is David told? What reason is given by Uriah for his actions? How did David respond? Did his plan work?
- Who does David write to? What did he write? Who did he send the letter with? What happens? What seems to be Joab’s concern in sending a message back to David regarding the battle?
- What report is given to David? What message did David send back? Why? What did Bathsheba do about what had happened to Uriah? What does David do? How did God feel?
- What are some expectations, or customs, associated with who you are, what you do, etc.? Are these good, bad, or some combination of both? Do you ever not do them, or feel like not doing them? Why?
- What do you do when you find yourself with time and nothing you need to do? Are there things you notice that maybe you shouldn’t? How do you handle that? At what point does it become a problem? How hard is it to stop once you’ve begun a process in the wrong direction?
- Do you like the feeling of getting special treatment? Have you ever been singled out in a good way and not know why? How much concern do you have for your brothers and sisters who live with less comfort than you do?
- Have you ever delivered a message and not know what was in it? What does it take to do such a thing? Have you ever followed instructions only to have something turn out poorly? How did you feel?
- How do you feel when a bad plan of yours succeeds? How do you feel when it appears your sin may be noticed by others? How does God feel?
Next Week: You’re The Man
2 Samuel 12