The following are discussion questions from a weekly study I am leading through the book of 1 Kings. We meet each Wednesday evening at the Deer Run Church of Christ.
Starting Strong Isn’t The Same As Finishing Strong
A Study of the Book of 1 Kings
Lesson 20 (If At First You Don’t Succeed)
1 Kings 20
November 13, 2013
- Who was Ben-Hadad? Who does he join forces with? What do they do? What message does Ben-Hadad send to Ahab? How does Ahab respond? Does this satisfy Ben-Hadad? What is his response?
- Who does Ahab gather for advice? What does he tell them? What is their advice? How does Ahab now respond to Ben-Hadad? Does Ben-Hadad find this acceptable? What does he promise to do? How does Ahab respond to that?
- What message does God send to Ahab? What questions does Ahab have? How are they answered? How many young officers does Ahab summon? How many men make up the rest of his forces? What do they do? Who wins the battle?
- What message does God give after the battle? What explanation did his officials give Ben-Hadad for their losses? What advice to they give? How did the two armies appear when they met again? What happened when the battle finally took place? When he becomes trapped, what advice is Ben-Hadad given? What was the result of that advice?
- What did the prophet ask a man to do? What happened? What story does the prophet tell Ahab? How does Ahab respond to the story? Who was the story really about? What was God’s verdict?
- What would you give for peace? What if agreeing meant they wanted more? What are God’s terms of peace? Are you always willing to give it?
- How quick are you to seek advice? Does the support of others embolden you to take a stand? How do you respond to threats? Do you tend to make statements that you may not be able to back up?
- Do you believe God’s instructions? How closely do you follow them?
- Following victory, do you tend to think about preparing for the next battle? Do you ever try to explain away the work of God? How much do you trust God when you feel small compared to the enemy?
- Why is it hard to obey God when His instructions don’t make sense? Do you tend to excuse sin that God has condemned? . . . In others? . . . In yourself?
Next Week: Sour Grapes
1 Kings 21